Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Happy Almost Thanksgiving


Hey stampers!  I love having a short work week.  Tomorrow is my Friday.  My DH, myself, and furry child are headed to Sioux City for the holiday.  My family traditions are strong so it is hard to get my dad to do something different but this year we convinced him to let us cook Thanksgiving dinner so he can relax and watch football.  So I expect I will spend a lot of time telling my 76 year old father to get out of his own kitchen but I am really looking forward to the time with my family.  Well, I digress.  Tonight's project is one that I have seen on several other blogs.  I made my own glitter ornaments.  What you need is clear glass Christmas ornaments.  Some craft stores have them in the "make-it yourself" section for Christmas.  Make sure they are clear.  The ones I am showing you tonight are iridescent so there is a section where you can't really see the glitter but I think they turned out gorgeous.  I also included pictures of what your hands look like if you don't use good rubber gloves.  Stampin' UP! re-inkers, fine grain glitter ( I  used Dazzling Diamonds).  Something to drain your extra ink into from the ornament, I also had baby wipes and lots of paper towel.  To start, remove the hanger portion of your ornament...be careful the inside of the top of the ornament can be sharp (found out the hard way).  Put several drops of your chosen ink into the ornament. I slowly swirled the ink towards the opening and then I put my thumb over the opening and shook the ornament.  Then I put it upside down to drain.  I let mine drain for about 5 mins before I added the glitter because on the lighter colors when you shake the ornament, you get little groups of bubbles and it takes about 5 minutes for them to clear out.  Once I thought it had drained long enough, I added several small spoons of my Dazzling Diamonds and shook the ornament to coat the inside with the glitter.  This is not a project to do if you do not like glitter....I made these on Friday night and I still have pieces of glitter stuck to me.  I used Rich Razzleberry (top left ), Melon Mambo, Pink Pirouette (retired), Kiwi Kiss (retired) and Crushed Curry(bottom left).  The Crushed Curry I think is my favorite.  It is just gorgeous in real life. Then of course the last photos are of my fingers and thumb.  It only took 4 days to wash almost to normal.  So thanks for stopping by.  Let me know what you think. 


Come and create something with me,


Andi

3 comments:

  1. Ooo I LOVE these!! Now I really want to make my own, but since I have none of the supplies (I'm so not a crafty person) I will have to go with just looking at yours!

    Have a Happy Turkey Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool! can you imagine my kitchen if I tried to make those?!

    Ange

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely gorgeous. We did them with silver glitter. I think I like the look of the dazzling diamonds better. Thanks for sharing.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete